Streaked, dusty and grimy windows are not only bad for enjoying the view but can also make your home look unkempt. Cleaning your windows will ensure that you can maximize the amount of natural light entering your home. Your home will feel brighter and cleaner with clean windows. However, there’s much more to cleaning windows than many people realize. If you’re not careful about how you clean your windows, you could end up leaving streaks on the glass or worse still actually damaging the glass. We at Crystal Clean A1 Window Services have been providing window cleaning services for years. We hope the information below will help you learn how to clean windows without streaks or causing other damage.
5 Steps To Cleaning Windows Without Streaking
1. Gather your cleaning solutions
The first step to cleaning your windows and ensuring they do not have streaks is to gather your cleaning solutions. Many people use glass cleaners that contain alcohol or ammonia. While these glass cleaners promise to provide a more intense clean, they will leave streaks. They may in fact leave a thin film on the glass that will attract moisture or dust. Your windows will end up in worse condition than they were previously.
2. Spot clean
If you have spots that will be especially difficult to clean, you should start by cleaning these spots. Dip a rug into a solvent such as rubbing alcohol or acetone and rub the spot clean. Wipe away at the glass and continue to clean other spots.
3. Soak stuck-on materials
Avoid using a razor or other hard tools to scrape off materials that are stuck on the glass. These could scratch or break the glass. You should instead soak these spots to make it easier to get them off. You can then rub them off with a soft cloth.
4. Use only soft and lint-free materials to clean
Use a soft and lint-free fabric such as microfiber cloth to clean your windows. Paper towels are also a great option for wiping windows when using a rubbing window washing solution.
5. Rinse with water
If your windows still have streaks after wiping them down, rinse them off with clean water. This will get rid of any cleaning solution that may have remained on the surface of the glass.
Types of Window Cleaning Solutions to Use
There are various types of window cleaning solutions available. There are two rules you should adhere to when selecting a cleaning solution.
- Choose a commercial cleaning solution from a brand you trust
- Choose a vinegar-based solution for the best results.
Homemade Window Cleaning Solutions
Wondering what is the best homemade window cleaning solution? One of the best ways to make an effective window cleaning solution is to use distilled vinegar. This product is easy to find and is a common feature in any household pantry. The acid is effective at breaking up dirt and grime without damaging glass.
You can make your cleaning solution by mixing 1 part of distilled vinegar in 10 parts of warm water. Place this in a spray bottle and use it to clean your windows.
Washing windows with Vinegar
A distilled vinegar solution is the best window cleaning solution if you want to avoid leaving streaks. Here’s the best way to clean windows using vinegar solution.
- Spray your windows with the vinegar solution. Apply more solution to areas with stubborn stains or spots and leave them to soak. You can use a soft lint-free cloth to gently wipe the spots clean after a few minutes.
- If your windows are large you should make the window cleaning solution in a bucket instead of a spray bottle. Dip a sponge into the solution in your bucket and use it to moisten the glass. Gently spread the solution on the windows with the sponge. Do so quickly in order to avoid streaking.
- Use a damp squeegee to wipe your windows clean. Wipe the edge of the squeegee down after each swipe. This will help to avoid dripping and streaking your windows.
Cleaning your windows using the tips above will help ensure they are streak-free. For professional window cleaning services, contact us, Crystal Clean A1 Window Services.